Just something intriguing I noticed. A lot of game genres are hybridising in favor of a first-person view.
Fallout 3 => RPG, first person.
Left 4 Dead (which I think I will cave in and pre-order on Steam tonight) => FPS, co-op game.
Tabula Rasa => MMO, first person.
I suppose you could even argue that many MMOs, sports games, and adventure games these days have moved from 2D roots into vivid realistic 3D graphics, and generally lean to either third-person (showing off the avatar) or first-person (going for the illusion that you the player are right there).
Sometimes they mix it up so that there's good screenshot ops for either one.
But my point is not really whether first-person wins out over third-person, but I rather wonder where any other viewpoints and styles have gone.
Seems to be a leaning towards more and more realistic 3D graphics in general.
Where are the isometric viewpoints? The 2D graphics? (Let's not even mention text games. *sighs*) Are they just old-fashioned and thus avoided like the plague? Shouldn't it be just an artistic choice? Or is it the general public who are attracted to something pretty and choose to buy only pretty 3D crap?
I suppose Diablo 3 might buck the trend when it comes out. It's gotta be isometric to some extent, or it's not Diablo.
Maybe the RTSes, though I note with some irony that you are able to rotate the camera for some 'in-person' screenshots in many RTSes, and most use 3D graphics and lots of realistic fire.
I think the one thing that isn't leaning towards full-fledged Hollywood-style 3D graphics are Japanese companies.
Offhand, the Nintendo Wii and DS have more odd kinds of games that make full use of side-scrolling, 2D graphics, text, the touchpad/wiimote and what not. Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, etc. All good games. Just different. Non-3D.
Even the Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles lean on the superlative graphic punch they can offer for a low cost.
Strange, slightly worrisome, kind of trend. Hope they don't forget how to make good games in the search for jaw-dropping 3D pictures.
3 comments:
I'm so cynical of these games now. They all want to be FPSy or MMOy. Maybe the good single-player games can really only be found on the gameboxes now...
Oh btw, thanks for the games =P
No probs. They were apparently quite popular a year or two ago, but I never tried 'em myself. Seeing the weekend offer slashing them to 1/4 the price was irresistable.
Post a Comment