Friday, January 08, 2010

No Elves



I grinned.

I guess this means I have Teen Crude Humor.




I'm quite surprised I haven't paid attention to the game until now, when it's jumping off the top seller charts in Steam and made MMO headlines about how their females are covered in full body armor.



Personally? First three, ok. Fourth one, utterly hot. Big tall Sakura Wars Kanna-lookalike in MECH booted armor.

Fifth one makes me want to run away screaming. There's something distinctly proportionally not right regarding the limb size, positioning and the muscle striations.

Can't say I like the saturn-style power-ranger-esque white and colored boob design, but well, women's lib didn't happen overnight, neither will digital women's lib, I guess.




On the actual game front, the FAQ on their website was quite intriguing.

4 'wide' classes: meaning the Assault class can switch roles between a tank and bomb-spraying demolitions guy, the Engineer class can set up defensive turrets as well as run offensive combat drones, the Medic has build alternatives of standard support healer and offensive bioweapons expert, the Recon is stealth/sniper, etc.

Expanding types of gameplay: FPS skill on a basic individual player front, RPG build/stats skill will be tested as you get more advanced, teamwork skill, and then big overall strategic territorial conquest game between guilds (agencies) that...miracle of miracles, RESETS every 45-60 days.

Ye gods, a planned reset. A planned reset. I've been waiting 8 years for a game to pull one of these off properly, let's see if it works.

If they balance and design the overlapping layers well, it can make for some really good deep gameplay. When Natural Selection overlaid RTS atop FPS, the additional learning complexity made me a believer. The problem is if they -don't- do it well, and you end up with cookie cutter builds and a few individuals who overpower any semblance at teamwork and strategy, etc.

Things that put me off slightly: It's in third-person perspective. They explain it pretty well, because jetpacks, grappling onto ledges, melee combat and diving into cover do require a third-person perspective for best situational awareness. Neither can you see your cool armor without it. I just have some hesitancy due to very bad experiences with Tabula Rasa where your paper doll pivots in a retardedly strange manner.

Servers are in North America and future plans are to group by big geographic region. Kudos for remembering to address Asia/Pac and Oceanic concerns. Too few people remember the billions that exist here. Boo for saying you're just 'constantly evaluating' the possibility of a data center in this region based on demand.

300+ ms ping is really quite horrific for an FPS. I've struggled with 230ms on Oceanic servers, which is ok. North America and Team Fortress just don't coincide though.

Of course, Global Agenda is not really an FPS, so they could be telling the truth that some Oceanics didn't have too big an issue with it in alpha. Or it could be just marketing speak.

Open Beta starts today. Looking forward to seeing what people think of it. Except the other news about Global Agenda is how they're having network issues and people can't log in, so their beta launch is delayed.

(Launch time teething woes are NEVER a good sign. Even if it is just beta.)

No comments: