Just tried the second dungeon on the Defiant side tonight, known as Deepstrike Mines. I might have figured out that something was up when I see a lot less PUGs advertising for DSM, over the first dungeon Iron Tombs.
Long story short, I managed to get into the group when I offered to tank, though I did warn them that I hadn't done the dungeon before and received stoney silence from three people in the group with one last guy bothering to communicate that no prob, nothing special.
Mobs hit pretty hard, and right away it was pretty obvious that either I was a little squishy or the one healer wasn't cutting it fairly well. Been staring at my build since though, and a video of another party going through the mines, and with the exception of 15% damage reduction that I don't have the points to pick up yet, I don't think I was the terrible one.
I suppose I could have been more assertive and asked if anyone had cc and so on. Truth is, I'm kinda a timid tank, especially when I don't put together the group. No one said anything about their specs either, so that was a mistake too. Essentially 3 dps and either one healer or half a healer, I dunno.
Communication was hell. After one or two wipes and near-misses, I'd identified the type of mob spawn that was giving me trouble, and then the one talking dps decided that we could kill a mob spawn double that, I was in the midst of typing asking for some cc, when the rogue decided he would sneak in and cc one, but forgot his pet was visible, so everything aggro'ed, and we wiped again. Healer quit at this point. (One of the other dps had wordlessly dropped too.)
At which point, I decided to salvage what was left of the situation and bow out too, but feeling somewhat inadequate. I always have this problem. I keep questioning myself if there was something I could have done.
Most likely the reality is that there were a lot of other factors and possible things that could have offset my tendency to squish. Such as buffs and support builds and/or someone else bothering to offheal or offttank or cc. After all, they squished really fast after I died, which suggests they weren't capable of tanking it either.
But I still feel like an insecure wreck for daring to tank as a *gasp* cleric, because warriors are *supposed* to tank, y'know. (Say the naysayers.)
Of course, reality coldly points out that there WERE two warriors on that team, and they wanted to dps, and wanted someone else to tank. (And someone else to heal.) So the old argument has no leg to stand on, in this case.
So I guess it boils down to bad nightmare PUG and a whole lot of wishing that I had one of those dynamic duos going on where one guy tanks and one guy heals, and they always do this together and become real pro at it. Or hell, I'll settle for hybrid healtanks that split aggro or something.
I miss my first Iron Tombs teams when we had a whole load of tank specs - a mage with a tank pet, a rogue with a tank spec, me, and a whole load of excess heals from random folks. :(
No comments:
Post a Comment