Somewhat reluctantly, but since I just completed the Mages College storyline quest that sets you up as the Arch-Mage of the college, it seemed a good stopping point to catch my breath.
Certainly, the entire storyline itself was very hard to pause (as it comprises of a "dwarves digging too deep and releasing an ancient evil" kind of plotline, and if one wants to immerse, one has to pretend that the ancient evil is not going to wait while one gallivants across the breath of Skyrim and back, picking flowers, chasing other storylines and side quests and so on).
So worth it though. I get this very nice Arch-Mage's study that I was coveting from the moment I stepped in as a lowly Apprentice.
Now the next challenge is going to be deciding how to take out all the hoarded crap in three wardrobes (books, assorted weapons/armor, miscellaneous) that I stuffed into my assigned dormitory room and move it up here. Without a carrying capacity boost (surely there must be a spell I am missing somewhere.)
I haven't been enchanting, smithing, or alchemying in my crazed rush through the mage storyline, and I'm level 21 with a LOT of catching up to do.
There are so many other quests I dunno if I'll be able to take a in-game week to just chill out in my mages college. I'm so easily distracted...
The College is really a nice looking place. When it isn't snowing. As in full blizzards and snowstorm gray sleet and hail. Which is about 1% of the time.
The dungeon atmospherics are really very good. Apparently they are all hand-crafted and there are about 120 of them, that are doled out in pieces via side quests and some kind of AI director. Some nice interactive puzzles in them too.
Whiterun. But I immediately got Rohan / Gondor vibes. They have a dead tree in the courtyard too. Which you can go on a quest to renew.
Honestly though, I think the ripping off of mythic themes helps, more than hinders, Skyrim. The Nords are based of Scandinavian legends, so tales of epic warriors, bards and skalds, viking mead halls, snowy tundra landscapes with mountains and pine trees and wolves and worse all seem to blend together to form something that seems realistic and plausible, yet sprinkled with a generous helping of magic. Similar to Guild Wars.
Where Dragons and Giants fight, you know who will be the victor...
That would be me, of course. *dances on their graves*
"Errr, did you need any help?"
Turns out, no, she was a Hunter, and having a good time bathing. She wasn't like, drowning, or anything. And no worries despite random wolves and sabre cats roaming the same wilderness.
Whatever. I'm a mage, and I still like to keep light armour on, bow and arrows and a spare sword in case my bound sword poofs on me.
I'm so tickled to see the logo in game. It's not exactly Fourth Wall breaking, but I dunno, it feels odd and cool at the same time.









No comments:
Post a Comment