It's likely one of those cycles, City of Heroes doesn't quite seem fun anymore. Probably because one keeps seeing the same enemies over and over, mission after mission. And high level big team pickings are really quite slim. Possibly because I'm too lazy to make 'em myself by sending out umpteen tells and gathering together a team. Cos a) I'm the tank, which means it's run around, herd stuff, taunt ad nauseam and hit stuff with a hammer and watch things die. And wow, this is a giant mission map. Or b) no one wants to team with a non-tank. Soloing only amuses me for so long.
And let me tell you, it does not help CoH that their update and login servers seem permanently lagged and jammed. Took me 3 hours to download a 972kb patch at 300 bytes (yes, you read that correctly) per second. WTF?! This is World of Warcraft standard. Come on, fire your damn ISPs already.
And the latest news I read on the forums was the kicker. No souvenirs for TFs? Erm. No. I am a collector. You do not treat explorer/collectors in such a fashion. Never.
And there's this lovely paragraph from a book I'm reading: David Allen's "Ready for Anything"
How nice when we can create grooved-in behaviors that benefit us. We don't want to think about creating context; we just want to be in our contexts and reap the automatic rewards. Until, however, those rewards diminish, relative to the energy invested. That's when we enter into tricky territory. Too many times, we don't recognize when reality has shifted, but we haven't, in our forms and behaviors. We keep doing what we've been doing, but the thrill is gone...
When these forms reach a certain level of ossification, we will begin to feel a pressure internally, procrastinating about doing things that we used to do with enthusiasm. Because it was such a good idea to start with and because we got used to a positive benefit from it, we now think that we're getting lazy, old, or simply bored.
It could be any of those. Or it could be that the spirit of the situation is in charge and the forms must keep on morphing into something more vital and organic, for the highest good of the work really to be done. Your inner guidance mechanism may be letting you know it's time to move on.
So I think it's break time from CoH for a bit. Maybe a month. Maybe until I5.
I'm in the midst of seriously cleaning my place, putting up a new cupboard, and remembering how to paint miniature figurines again.
And the MMORPG of the month is now temporarily Guild Wars. If I'm in the solo mood, this is the best game for it. Churned through a whole bunch of missions this weekend, leaping from Post-Searing Ascalon to finishing the Breach quests, to Yak's Bend, right past Shiverpeaks and am now aiming towards Kryta.
Also started up a warrior/necromancer, and am considering another newbie character.
What's fun is that they have a vault storage that allows us to trade stuff between our characters. My level 15 ranger/monk is feeding my lowbies gold and shiney weapons. How convenient. Don't even have to have two people online to trade 999999 at a time. Heh.
Only sad thing is 4 character slots. Going to have to end up deleting characters to make room for new ones, but I guess I'll worry about it when the time comes.
Probably get bored of it before then, so haveta swap back to CoH or try Auto-Assault/CoV/Hero's Journey/D&D Online or whatever. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment