Wednesday, May 09, 2007

The True Tafender!

I think I was mentioning how someone irritated me. (Turned out to be a her apparently.) I think I finally managed to put a finger on it. Here is a post on the defender boards.


I'm actually keenly interested my party's defenses and resists. And flooring accuracy and debuffing to-hits are of even more interest. But with Tankers its a matter of narcissism (how can I make myself better at resisting damage?). With defenders it is not. We are concerned with making things better for others.

If Ice Tankers come up short in the final encounter then that is irrelevant here except in terms of what ways can we mitigate their failings.


Okay. Tanks are narcissistic, defenders are not. Because defenders are concerned with their team's defenses and resists.

So what in the world is a tank to do if he is concerned with his team's defenses and resists? Taunt mobs, absorb damage, of course. How do make sure he is doing his best? Examine how he can best survive incoming damage. If he's having problems surviving even with defender support, then there is a reason for concern, maybe?

Every AT is a support AT. How you support your team is by doing what you can.

So in order to be non-narcissistic, tanks need to be concerned with his team's defenses and resists in the "Correct Way", which is to buff and debuff. Now wait a minute, tanks don't have all these buffs and debuffs!

So they are, by default definition, narcissistic.

A tank who doesn't care a hoot about his team doesn't need to be worried about his own resists and defenses. He doesn't draw that much aggro anyway. Taunt some Strongmen. Let the squishies deal with the Illusionists and Mistresses.

Declaring how great and charitable you are is not narcissistic. Stereotyping other players based on what AT they are playing at that moment is not narcissistic. Dismissing the concerns and problems of other players because "hey, they're irrelvant, the only thing relevant is Me and My Debuffs" is not narcissistic.

I really need to make some tank alt and call him the Tafender. Full med pool, leadership pool, grant invis...all he does is defend people. Then he'll be the perfect, non-narcissistic tank.

1 comment:

Juli said...

Many people tend to be hypocrites.

I wondered why I kept reading the boards for a game I was interested in, despite it being full of sound and fury signifying nothing. (LOTRO, atm, City of Heroes boards are currently making me bored.)

Masochism, maybe? Or just an obsessive habit. Perhaps an eternal hope that I would find a smigen of value, a nugget of truth in all the dross.

Haven't really found much except the fact that people love to argue and bicker and disagree with each other.

Ah well. People will be people.

P.S. Script Frenzy pre-month frenzy is beginning! 20,000 words... only! :P