Monday, June 30, 2008

Bioshocked!

I am ever impressed by how far video games have advanced. 1st-person shooters nowadays hardly bear any resemblance to their great-grand-grand-...-daddy Wolfenstein. I've been playing more "classical" games, with the most recent published game being the graphically unimpressive indy-game Witcher. In other words, I've been living in the gaming backwaters.

Enter Bioshock.

The physics engine is simply amazing. The water looks like water, moves like water, alters light like water. The fire looks like fire, moves like fire, burns like fire. Metals, plastics, plants, lights, all look so real that I imagined I could put my hand through the screen to touch the Bioshock world.

The amount of computation required to run the game must be immense, yet all of it is contained within one single desktop unit.

Furthermore, the atmosphere was quite realistically crafted -- an older era preserved and falling into ruins. Beautiful!

Wish I had more time to play it... :(

1 comment:

Juli said...

Welcome to the rest of the world. :)

I kid, I kid...

I think I mentioned a while back that I was a lot more impressed with the immersiveness and elemental handling of Bioshock than any supposed 'moral' choice that wasn't a real choice with real consequences.

And I love the quick change interface of hitting the right mouse button to swap between physical and magical attacks.