Saturday, June 07, 2008

Festering Rot IV

*sighs*

Alright, I spent 40 mins typing out a diplomatic but frustrated email to my boss, pointing out the current problems with the scheduling system and constructively suggesting tweaks. That's about all I can do at the moment.

Fortunately, I have a LOT of day offs / leave days in my ammunition box, so any time I get uber pissed off with the scheduling, I am still able to create my own breaks by just applying for leave and going away. That tends to point out very painfully the flaws in the current schedule, as the schedulers will then have to fire-fight and create a new schedule anyway.

But it's certainly one of the small things that adds up to a little 'ticking clock' in my mind, that asks if I want to leave for good and find a new job.

Call me a pessimist, but I also wonder how much good that will do. I suspect that anywhere there are people, we will have issues with scheduling, unfair distribution of work, office politics, and plain lazy-asshattedness.

After all, it's probably not just a Singaporean or bureaucratic thing - could be that private business companies that have these problems tend to fail and go bust and naturally select themselves out with rapid speed, or linger on like stagnant bad apples.

I figure if Dilbert is so popular, such problems must be widespread for so many people to see the humor in it...

---

Anyhow, back to a festering rot observation that's a little closer to home.

I feel like I'm falling into a festering rot routine myself. Of boring adult mundanity.

Wake in morning. Go to work. Come back home. Turn computer on. Surf web. Play MMO (do quest; fight monster; gain xp; level up; repeat). Watch TV occasionally. Tell self that one should: exercise, read, do something about hobby interests, clean room, declutter belongings, do filing, cook something new, do something different. Rationalize that one has no time. Feel tired and exhausted. Fall asleep.

All I'm missing is - Find husband. Marry. Live in domestic disharmony. Have children. Take care of kids. End up with even less time but more rationalizations. Walk around with dead soul until death.

*shudder*

This has to stop. Here and now. Somehow.

How? :(

1 comment:

Freefall said...

I was on a "hike around Central Singapore" spree the month before so I would do something else on Saturday than just sit and play video games non-stop.

But now I'm out of action and have one month's work piled on me, so it looks like "do work, play some games, sleep" is going to be my life too.