Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Badges = Devil + Work

Have I mentioned that badges, accomplishments, deeds, trophies, titles, and other such earn-able shinies are the work of the devil?

All these damn collections to fill up, no matter which game you look.

Obviously I'm not that obsessed: I won't go to ridiculous lengths to get the very last awful tedious badge.

But it's an addictive mechanic.

Especially if you tie it to a timeline so that it's like a little social record of what you've done. I've been putzing around on Kongregate and having a blast. Clever little buggers, to attach badges and challenges to a whole bunch of Flash games, so that you're compelled to go search for new fun ways to accumulate points and level up and show off shiny things.

(Yeah, so I'm shy and I'm being anonymous. Me likey my privacy. Less shy people might like the whole Facebook aspect. Clever social gaming aspect.)

I like the idea of seeing all the badges accumulated with the timeline, so it's like the story of your accomplishments over a certain period.

I suspect WAR is going to do it very well. I'm doomed.

P.S. Amorphous+ rocks. Bubble Tanks 2 is kinda cute. Switch is sheer EVIL. Pillage the Village is hilarious. Music Catch is kinda meditative and fun for a short game.

No comments: