Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Confluence of Hypertext

Oh, this is cool.

a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/11/health/research/11brain.html?_r=1

And not the content of the article, which is admittedly an amusing theory to play around with intellectually, but what I noticed when clicking around to scroll up and down the page.

One can highlight individual words and click the lil question mark button that pops up, and voila, instant dictionary/reference lookup.

I think it is absolutely fantastic, kinda like postmodern hypertext and more akin to what is envisioned in the sci-fi shows of today.

How many people actually put it to good use, I don't know, but it's so uber cool that the option is there.

Ironically, the old highlighted underlined hypertext links are also present in the same article too. So it's like a meeting between old and new.

Maybe in the future, all you'll need to do is click special buttons on your mouse for a dictionary lookup reference or a url to another site and so on.

And of course, maybe there will be no more mouse later on too.

No comments: