- 1 rare miniature - 1 point
- 1 unique miniature - 1 point
- 10 miniatures - 1 point
- 20 miniatures - 1 point
- 30 miniature - 1 point
Instead of the interactive and highly polished Hall of Monuments Reward Calculator that is ostensibly still a beta version.
Would we still see as many folks racing into Guild Wars in an attempt to score points? I seriously doubt it. Part of its glitter is to provide ample and visible feedback of "progress" towards a particular goal.
In retrospect, I'm darkly amused that so many gamers are working so hard for a future reward. Just think, none of us are getting any virtual shinies yet, we are in fact slaving and grinding away for an at-present nonexistent potential reward.
What HoM does seem to provide at-present is the ability to a) show off to the world what you've "achieved" in Guild Wars 1, and b) compare yourself to other people playing Guild Wars 1, thus validating one's sense of ego or raising one's prestige or what-have-you.
I am not immune to this either, having greeted the dawn of the calculator with a miserable 6 points. At least the heritage armor was mine. Or would be mine. (In the future, that is.)
Releasing my inner achiever to run amok for a time, I promptly made plans to snatch at any and all low-hanging fruit off the HoM tree.
The details of which are somewhat uninteresting, but suffice to say I took a romp through my miniature collection, unearthing unplayed characters back in Old Ascalon, worked my way through Factions on my Nightfall paragon to cap off a few almost-achieved campaign titles, and made myself figure out the process of upgrading hero armor - which was less intimidating than feared, certainly one random drop off a hero henchable challenge mission was far easier to swallow than trying to buy my own prestige armor set.
Now that nearly all the low-hanging fruit has now been plucked, I am sitting on the halfway point of 15 (assuming 30 being the final goal) with an ever increasing exponential curve ahead of me. This is roughly the point where I back out and shut down, except that Halloween is upon us.
I've always liked the decorations of GW's Halloween, though I only attended the complete Mad King Thorn appearance once or twice (my scarecrow hat says 2007). This year, I have discovered something moderately addicting. The Costume Brawl.
A random arena of 5 vs 5, with already preset, premade skill bars, and a bunch of control points to capture (thus taking some of the immediate focus away from annihilating each other).
The preset bars guarantee that there are no evil uber builds (though I've had one guy call me and a ritualist a noob for using our classes, because our skillbars are apparently crap), and they force a random team reset each game (finally implemented this year, thank god) to stop the guild teams syncing up with each other, or even random teams that were winning streaks (I got into one of those before the update and while it was fun for us, it certainly wasn't nice to the teams we opposed).
PvP like this makes me wish that I could actually find a guild in Guild Wars and try some real GvG PvP or even just team-based PvP. Alas, I will have to settle for random festival PvP and maybe, just maybe poke my head into random arena when I think my build is presentable enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment