![]() |
| The realistic graphics sure have been improved though. |
One gaming session in Minecraft (about 4+ hours admittedly because I couldn't tear myself away from dig dig dig like an industrious dwarf):
![]() |
| The largest cavern I've ever dug so far in Minecraft. Some day in the future, I will try for Moria! |
As much as I want to like Wurm Online, with the terraforming and the realistic graphics, I just can't get past their realism simulation in which everything worth doing takes a lot more time than usual.
The longer you put off short term gratification in favor of long term pleasure, the smaller your game population appears to become. This is no doubt why Wurm has a niche population and Minecraft players numbers in the millions (amongst other contributing factors.)
Or why ATITD starts off captivating as you strive for goals of 100 boards and 100 bricks, and once you get past all the short term goals into things like wine making where you get to wait months, population dwindles away to nothing.
As for why I was hollowing out a big underground cavern in Minecraft, well, I wanted to make an underground tree farm. The interesting thing is, you might copycat an concept, but in the process of making it, you end up with your own unique riff on it. Just google "underground tree farm Minecraft" and you'll see all the different kinds people have been making.
![]() |
| There are many like it, but this one is mine. |
It's probably not as efficient as it could be, but I wanted it kinda pretty. I've started experimenting with growing wheat in one corner. This is the first time I'm experimenting with controlled water flows, it's quite fun and I suspect I will do more with it later.
The trees are growing well, but the shade of their canopy is driving me a bit nuts, I'm scared zombies might spawn in the dimness when my back is turned. But I don't want to jail them with blocks either, so I don't know. So far I've just been pruning them by hand.
Turns out I didn't put this extremely far underground. The ladder at the side leads into a natural cave passage which brings me to the outside world. Lots of beach sand there, which is great. And hopping up the grassy cliff that topped my tree farm gave me an idea to install skylights.
It's just a bit of a challenge to do it after the fact. Fortunately I'm mastering the art of making temporary climbing columns. I made a spiral stair for the first skylight because I wanted a more stable surface while I tried to poke a hole in the ceiling and orientate. Now I'm pretty much hopping upwards on short one-block climbing columns and breaking them down under me to get down.
Next up, tossing around ideas of a skyscraper farm (urban farming in a glass skyscraper?), a reclaimed land glass dome, animal pens... and after watching another Minecraft video, bringing grass underground for an animal farm. Heh. Heh heh.



No comments:
Post a Comment