Friday, March 11, 2011

Adventures at the Top of the Blocky World

World 3 of Minecraft:

A slightly more ambitious attempt to do something different than a hole/cavern in a ground-level stone face, a castle watchtower and a walled beachfront resort with a growing MRT line made out of minecarts (see earlier Minecraft pics.)

I have been peacefully beavering away in this world for some time. Built a glass and wood house (hut) for my first few days, then went exploring and found a really tall mountain cliff, and deciding to mine UP instead of down. So my first long-lasting shelter consists of a tiny little semi-concealed back door


a small humble shelter area and a little staircase


 up to what I would eventually treat as my front door

 


The top of this cliff was pretty grassy, and I flattened it out a bit more, thinking to have a nice foundation for a bigger house. There were all these livestock that kept turning up all around me though. Eventually converted all the sides into impromptu fenced farm funnel points. Anything that spawns anywhere on the mountain tends to fall down into the fenced off areas baa'ing and oink'ing and clucking away reproachfully at me.

It was a shame to build on top of my new grassy free-from-livestock lawn though.

So in true fantasy physics fashion, I present my three-story house on top of a cliff.


As in, jutting out of the cliff on 'reclaimed' cobblestone land


And this is me clearing the undergrowth at the base of the cliff with a casual forest fire.

(As in most of Minecraft's casually set and unplanned fires, the fire actually surprised me by jumping an air gap and started burning an arch of two very old oak trees that I had intended to leave around for an arched gateway. Ah well, I didn't like them that much anyway.)



Somewhere in between Minecraft updates, my pretty ever-burning log fire was destroyed. (Logs now burn up in a few seconds when set on fire.)

I eventually have to open a portal into Hell and get some Netherrack, which are the new everburning blocks now.

Meanwhile, my fireplace sat cold and empty and lifeless...

Until today, when I was minding my own business ferrying stuff from house 1 to house 2, I felt the fireplace watching me.

1 comment:

Freefall said...

It would be tragic if some player made a fortress of wood...and a random fire came and burnt it down. :X