Since I have suddenly (and fortunately) learnt that my advisor will be on leave until mid-August, I now have the excuse to push back my Thesis submission date. The problem is, I handed in a form saying I would hand it in at the start of August. I wanted to find out what to do.
Boss Office:
Boss: You should not ask ZZZ (Division Guy) because he knows nothing. You should ask VVV's assistant WWW, but I don't know who it is because the previous assistant left.
Chair's Office:
XXX: I don't know who replaced WWW. I've never heard of WWW. I'll just call YYY and ask. Hang on!
YYY: I don't know what to do. We just accept submissions from the Division and hand it to the Graduate Studies Office. Talk to the Division guy, ZZZ.
Division Office:
ZZZ: Oh, it doesn't matter, just hand in whenever. *Gives some information I know to be false* Just check the university website. {subtext: you die your business}
Boss Office:
Boss: Go to GSO.
Graduate Studies Office:
Oops, the whole place is locked. Only one person at the reception, AAA.
AAA: Oh, I don't know. The phd people aren't in now. {a lie since I could get through on phone later!} You take this email and email them, they'll give you the answer. *hands a post-it with a generic enquiry email*
Office:
Me: Ok this is getting nowhere. *searches the GSO website and finds a phone number for research thesis matters*
Call GSO number:
BBB: Oh, we only count your advisor's endorsement date, not the date you submit the thesis.
Me: I can't submit without my advisor to endorse, and he isn't coming back until *insert date*
BBB: Just try to submit within the month. But only the endorsement date matters. When the thing comes in, I'll look at the paperwork, so I can't promise anything. {subtext: you die your problem}
1 comment:
The subtext running through the entire saga sounds remarkably similar - be it when we were at college (and the career counselor I tried going to was no damnable help at all) or just at regular plain ol' work.
The art of tai chi is well practiced everywhere, it appears.
Post a Comment