Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Favorite ATs in Order 1-5

Saw this post on the CoH boards. Being at work, my posting ability is nullified on the boards, but for some odd reason, Blogger still works, so yay, it saves my sanity.

It's really hard for me to rank stuff in order because I'm such a devout altoholic I need to try every combination and admire the playstyles of a lot of them.

But for stuff I find I spend the most time playing, and most energy devoted to 'em:

1. [b]Scrapper[/b]
Yes, I have the heart of a scrapper. Nothing comes closer to hero-ing than scrapperism for me. I want to scream like a wild man, brandish some sort of weapon ala Wolverine and hop into the fray. And be the one left standing at the end of it, panting, clinging onto life by the skin of my teeth, but still be standing. With enemies all around my feet. Go ferality. And what I wouldn't give for a well-done Werewolf AT. (Not just a pet. *sniffs*)

Very nice damage capability and significant survivability. Means the game plays fast and furious, with enemies dropping and very little downtime at higher levels.

And I just like the Panzer blitz style. Run in, whack a whole bunch of stuff, run out.

2. [b]Blaster/Tank[/b]
Ok, I cheated. These two tie at next place. If really forced, I would have to say the blaster edges out the tank by a slight margin. At low levels, anyway.

Let's start with the blaster. I do kickass damage. What's not to like? Yes, I am a simple-minded fool. I just like big numbers.

Ok, I'm squishy, but I'm sure that's where tactics comes into play, and preferably killing much faster than they kill me. And a team who knows what the heck it is doing would also help. But I'm the guy actually doing the all-important DAMAGE to kill, uh, arrest the mobs.

I love my fire/dev blaster. The AoEs are beautiful stuff. Of course I know mad AoE'ing without a good tank is gonna put me facefirst into the morgue at higher levels, but the sheer visual splendor of it is still drooly.

I play tanks/'trollers, I know how important they are to keep the lil squishy blasters alive. But I love being the one getting shielded so I can just unleash hell.

Failing which, there's the tank. If I can't do massive damage, then I want to stay still standing. I want to walk in there and be a hero the enemies can't touch, no matter how freaking hard they try. I laugh in the face of all those bullets. I protect squishies.

Sure it sucks all my energy to actually do some hitting, but I'll whittle you down any way with an aura, or when I do choose to hit you with something - boy, you'll feel it.

Blasters/Tanks are really opposite faces on a coin. A good team together would cleave through stuff much faster than a scrapper, imo. The scrapper wins by being soloable and reliant on himself. But if I had a good team, a blaster/tank would also rock.

(And failing which, both can solo. Slowly, but it's possible without being masochistic about it.)

3. Controller
I still want to cry about their non-solobility pre 32. I'm sure they'll redeem themselves once their pets come into play. I look greatly forward to that.

But I do like the control as well. It's fun to hold a whole bunch of stuff helpless. It's not so fun when you have no way to deal them damage while they're helpless (moron teammates, no pets and only brawl to help.)

Of course, it could simply be that I was shooting myself in the foot by making a fire/ff that picked team-benefit powersets and then whining about being not able to solo. My trial ill/rad solos a lot better.

I like the power of control. If only the power to damage, and thus arrest, wasn't so damn slow to go along with it.

4. Defender
The Team AT. Seriously. Imo, their powers benefit a team the greatest. Without a team, sure they can solo with blasts, but it gets very very boring. And with pick-up teams the way they are, eesh, I can't imagine playing a dedicated defender for too long.

For a change, sure, I like it. And the one thing I like about the Defenders is the sheer variety in their AT. Choose a different pri/sec and suddenly your tactics change so drastically it's amazing.

But to really blossom and see the effect your powers have, to really feel a hero because your powers are doing something significant, you need a good team. And thus, these guys are at the bottom of my list because of that reliance on others.

Not to say I don't enjoy being a cleric type every so often. I think a kinetic would be very interesting. And I still have that stormie I want to play. And MedicBot for laughs. And a dark just to see how they play. Or a real bubbler. But yea, something has to go last. And none of my defenders are past level 10 for some reason.

Must just be one of those personality things.




Haven't ranked Kheldians because I haven't played them. But I still dig the idea of a warshade for pure looks and RP reasons. Their playstyle though, I'm not sure about, since apparently their attacks drain so much end it's scary when compared to the peacebringer guys. But the ideal of flexibility is a big lure for me if it can be conceivably be carried out in reality. I'd love the thought of being able to shapechange and play different roles.

So far the only Kheldians I've seen mostly stay in squid and blast from afar. Maybe it's the level I'm seeing them at.

No comments: