Friday, February 11, 2005

Frickin' Stupid...Why Choice Is Important

Gah. Sorry, I have to bitch. In a completely inappropriate location, but there's some important lessons for us here.

So I was on afk on CoH, and surfing the internet, getting ready to edit some blogs. Just got a email about an up-and-coming SG and finished talking to the recruiter, when Zonealarm pops up with "Oh, there's an important security update you need to get."

...So I get it and download it, and I run it, blissfully thinking it'll install as I do my stuff...

Then it pops up with a window saying that install is pretty much complete, but I'll need to restart to finish the install. Oh, ok. I'll do that later, I tell myself. I click on "OK", the only button it gave me, thinking that it was just a notification message.

Guess what. The next moment, Windows shuts down on me.

Blogger goes poof. CoH goes poof. Everything goes poof except for the stupid Windows XP bluescreen shutdown.

I'm still in disbelief.

And yea yea, it restarts and finishes the install, and I open up Blogger and I needed to rant.

Goddamn stupid programmers. Even Microsoft knows how to give a choice of Restart Now or Later? And coming from people who managed to make more and more incarnations of MS Office and dumbed down ones like MS Works, that's pretty darned amazing.

I leave you with the moral of the story for all things...including MMORPGs.

Users like choice. It puts power in their hands. They do not react well to decisions being made for them.

(That, by the way, is why some OSes are so annoying, because they treat the user like a moron. Alas, I have no choice but to go to the dark side for now, because nearly every game I want to play assumes a Win XP OS. *mutters*)

1 comment:

Freefall said...

Stick with windows.

I've been trying to get CoH running with Cedega on a Linux box.
I just haven't had the time to summon the effort to do it. It would probably have been easy if all the drivers and libraries were set up correctly on my machine. But they weren't, maybe because I've been stubbornly refusing to ever install any of the major Distributions. (READ: REDHAT). I detest KDE, I detest GNOME. So my system is a bit patchy.

Have to get drivers, reconfigure my XWindows to use those drivers (somehow resolution goes crazy, because of the modelines). Ugh, my Glibc isn't compiled with nptl, (I -swear- it has to be compiled with linux-threads, but linux-threads is not compatible with nptl. Durn, have to recompile glibc with nptl. Still on the list of my TODOs) ...

Cryptic, just release a native linux version of CoH already!