Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Upgrades, Upgrades

I hate Dell.

I wasn't going to get a Dell computer. I specifically refused to get one.

But everyone gets Dell, so when I was trying to find a second hand computer, everyone was selling second hand Dells. So I gave in and bought one.

So recently, I decided to upgrade my memory. Dell wants to sell me 1Gb for $600. Eh? I can buy the same memory chips from ebay or just anywhere for $100-200.

But of course, if I use non-Dell memory, there is the problem with warranty.

So now I am vacillating, wondering if I should spend that extra $400 to buy from stupid Dell. Probably not.

Now, I want a new video card too, because my recent video performance shows distressing signs that my video card is starting to slowly bite the dust. I checked my power supply, and see a 250W rating.

250W? What kind of computer has a 250W power supply? Doh.

We all know what is going on of course. Dell makes computer from bad parts and sells it under a brand name for disgusting amounts of money. We all know that, we all refuse to buy Dell.

For $600 I can get new memory, a new power supply, and a new video card. Do I really want to buy Dell? Not really.

I hate Dell. Yes, I do.

Of course, this will have to wait till I pay off my credit card for last month so I get a fresh credit limit to splurge for my computer upgrades. Call it preparing for I4.

By the way, Juli, you should make some kind of archiving for the blog. There are so many posts now...

1 comment:

Juli said...

No wonder it took so damn long to update. We're both posting at the same time, nearly. :)

(Deleted your double post too, btw.)

I have no clue how to do archiving. You're a contributor, you figure it out. My limited ability to archive is content by posts sorted by month. :(

Hrm, upgrading. You know what, screw the warranty. How long does it last anyhow, it's second-hand already?

The price of that RAM is scary. Come on, it didn't cost me that much in SGD. Bit less than $400ish, so yea, $200 is the max you wanna pay. Get Kingston, it's apparently a good brand.

Check your motherboard to make sure you can slot in two 512s and you are set.

(Just make sure you ground yourself before touching de motherboard. Static electricity is more of a pain over where you are than here, I would think.)

That power supply reminds me of my old computer. I bet it's 300W though. :( And yah, one of the fans used to rattle like an old man struggling to breathe. I had no clue whether it was the power supply, processor, or just the casing fan too. Was scary. And it had the habit of blacking out every so often and rebooting. (Apparently a sign of lack of power.)

I think I'm on 450W these days, must check again.

I think if you do something about the power and RAM, you could probably give the video card a chance and see how it goes for the moment. CoH is rather forgiving of the Geforce 4 MX, and all my upgrade did was make things smoother and rounder and curvier and allow me to turn up effects like shadows, is about it.

Unless you really know that that your video card is burning out its parts, might be better to upgrade motherboard and processor first, make it a solider workhorse, then toss in a good card as needed?

Unless you have a burning desire to play other games than CoH, which require that kind of top of the line card, and so on.

Think RAM first anyhow. And maybe power supply if it's that bad.