Sunday, July 31, 2005

Don't Devs Ever Play Their Own Game?

Okay. Having tried an invul tank up to lvl 19, I can suddenly see the reason for why invul needs nerfing. Badly. I have not even gotten up to SOs. Yet I have tanked for 8 man teams +2 to +3 mobs. Oranges and reds. My teammates were one or two levels lower than me, and fighting in near complete safety (that's if the tank ain't sleeping on the job.) Granted, I was getting significant damage mitigation from the defs and trollers, but that's how 8 man teams should be.

Take my solo mission. I don't get it. Wouldn't devs immediately see that a power that gains in strength when surrounded by massive numbers leads to serious herding, ie. abuse or "clever usage" of power? When you are surrounded by 10 Council and getting hit less than when surrounded by 3 of 'em, any Tom, Dick or Harry would start to gather mobs. And then it's just a matter of standing there, dodging every attack, and aoe'ing slowly all of them down at the same time.

I can't even dream of doing this on the stoner. My regen would be outpaced, I think. And I can't uproot and run when things get too sticky. I just ran and flew the heck out of there cos I bit off too much the second time, on the invul...

The only thing is...why now?

People are so used to being god on their invuls. I'm really not looking forward to the potential and probable nerf in survivability of my /invul scrapper - cos I really liked him the way he was. Didn't they see the potential snafu way before this? Dunno.

An insidious reason occurs to me. By cleverly tweaking nerfs and powersets, you can create a new 'god' AT/powerset every issue. So those who are interested in 'cheat-mode' CoH will not lose interest after getting one char up to 50, and instead keep switching their characters. And the bills get paid. :)

Sonic 'fenders here we come.

Though I really like the arrow more. Nevermind, I5 looks to be the age of massed 'fender teams. No more shall the Defender forums whine. For everyone teaming with them will be a sonic 'fender, kinetic 'fender, rad 'fender, dark and arrow 'fender. Poor storm and FF.

No comments: