Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Guildwars. Hunt. Kill Skuls. (Part the Two)

Hurray, my Me/N just become "Weh no Su", the Canthan term for ascended. Except that...after that, I realised that I have still 2/3 of the main story left to do. Meanwhile I'm racking up pages of sidequests. Out of curiosity, I decided to try out a different secondary, so now I am Me/E. I mostly run with a full Mesmer skill bar anyway, with supplementary skills from curses when fighting the "Zergrush" type of mobs.

I think my newbie mistake was to mistake Elementalists as just pure nukey mages (aka the blasters of CoH). Turned out they have some interesting utility skills. In addition, once I get some gold I can pick up some skills to make an echo nuker (albeit a weaker version since my elementalist skills will be capped at 12) and actually get into teams. Either way I feel like I am a lot more survivable. For some reason, when I am playing solo with henchmen, the game AI always picks me as the priority target, even if I hide around corners and order my warrior henchmen to rush in first.

But then, I always attack the mob mesmers and necromancers first. With enough burst damage, even the mob monks can't save them. After that, the monks die. I assume the computer is trying to do the same to me. :P

Except that it seems most people I see in the game seem to believe there are four types of professions in the game. The tank, the monk, the nuker, and the minion master (this one is new). Also, the monk needs to be a healing monk, and the nuker a fire elementalist. It's true that you really need monks in guildwars though. I personally think the monk henchmen are pretty good. The computer never makes mistakes, and it has instant reaction.

So there I was, standing around moping by at the entrance of the mission area and rearranging my skillbar. I'd tried to solo the mission a few times with just henchmen, but kept failing at the final boss. In my last try, the last henchman killed the boss the very same moment as she died, and that didn't count as a victory. I was pretty sure that if I kept trying I'd eventually manage but I was pretty sick of doing the same thing again and again. Meanwhile, lines of "GLF monks / tanks" and "GLF MM" or "GLF nuker" scroll by. Suddenly, group invites me. 5/8 ... ok let's try.

(Sidetrack: I like how the GW team invite just lists a bunch of people at your teambar instead of creating some horrendous popup like in CoH. It feels ok for people to just ask me if I want to team that way because I don't get some popup in the middle of my screen I have to click away.)

A team with a mix warriors, elementalists, and necromancers. Duh. I was puzzled, why did they even invite me? Then they picked up someone else and grabbed two monk henchmen. No standing around whining "GLF monks" nonstop. They actually had some kind of strategy and really ripped through the mission with minimal deaths.

Anyway, back to the game itself. One thing I'm rather disatisfied with is the high cost of living. Even crafting some armor bankrupts me. I managed to pick up a bunch of purple items but I don't feel like broadcasting to the world hoping to sell them off. Happily, someone gave me two free green mesmer weapons so the weapon side is settled.

I'm thinking of joining a guild. It gets pretty boring just soloing. But there isn't a directory and something about the weird broadcasts of "XX guild recruiting YYY stats 100 members" puts me off. Attempts to get my CoH supergroup to play with me have failed:P

1 comment:

Juli said...

Ooh, that's pretty cool news for Factions. I'll need to compare it with Tec Drome's price then. Sometimes they actually price the game comparatively cheaper than the US price - not sure how that works in making a profit, mebbe by more demand and lower quality material used.

Same as how the same textbooks are way cheaper over in Asia than in America...

I last recall Factions at either SGD 70 or 100ish (which is a big difference, cruddy memory).

Anyhow, it's a moot point until I get home because my copy of GW is on the desktop. :P

And right now, the iffy wireless connection (or CoX itself) is rubber banding furiously and mapserving every so often, so I don't even trust online games right now. It's kinda ironic that I get better performance at home than over here - granted, I'm on this cruddy hotel wireless shared by goodness-knows-how-many guests.

I heartily recommend getting Oblivion if you get tired of Factions at some point. It is freaking beautiful. (And I mean that not just in the graphics sense, but in the endless opportunity for adventure and 'gameplay choice' sense.)

Yet it's a lot more guided and structured than the previous incarnations. There's an automatic journal that keeps track of every quest you pick up. An auto-map travel feature for places you've visited before, and key towns. And a compass/waypoint system for the quest you currently want to do.

So there's very little frustration in the system, but lots of opportunies for choosing your next path at any point. And at any point, you can always turn off the beaten path and go do something else...

(P.S. Deer hunting is FUN.)

Fact is, it's so good, I'm making plans to camp in the hotel over the weekend so I get to sleep, takeout at a nearby restaurant, watch TV and play Oblivion. And um, do a bit of work if I remember to. *hem*