As usual, it's life in AoC that's brought this pondering up.
When I had all three in CoX, I was ludricrously happy for 3 years, but of course, after 3 years, the core game finally started to look repetitive, so it's on hiatus. But because of the frequent, decent updates, and great community interaction on the forums between players and devs, it's still being paid for in the hopes that I can go back to it when the core game doesn't feel so same-old.
LoTRO has insanely plentiful updates and Turbine tends to be fairly good at fixing crap that breaks (with the exception of a few tech bugs here and there.) The board community has been decent, but the server I chose is feeling kinda empty. There's a disconnect with any people. The core game itself has neat design ideas...but travel feels slow, things nickle and dime you with moneysinks and timesinks, and combat is such a clank/click bore.
As a result, I'm not really very heavily into LoTRO because the moment-to-moment aspect of the game just feels a little lacking. I'm supporting it because of its design decisions, innovative touches, and its lore. The cheap subscription price helps the decision a ton. It's worth it for me to pay the price of a restaurant meal every month just in case I ever need to scratch an itch for old-school polished nostalgia.
Guild Wars. Well, I suppose I'm still in to Guild Wars. It's just back burnered for when I want to play a completely solo-challenge sort of game. Because community...haha, don't make me laugh. I don't even want to talk to anyone I don't already know in GW. Updates make very little difference to me in GW, though they go on from time to time, normally PvP tweaks and fixes. The core game works for me as a soloist 'hard mode' or 'farm/grind' game. Decent enough.
I'm worried about WAR. So far I can't predict updates or community (though I intend to find an Oceanic server this time around since things have turned out so well in AoC,) but it's the core game that gives me pause.
Now I need to quantify that by saying that I've not even tried it, so final opinions will have to wait until I actually play the dang thing, but what I've seen of the combat makes me bite my lip. It looks slow and choppy. It's the WoW style clonk clank click. If my day-to-day fights are going to be visually boring, I don't know if the other icings on the cake will hold my interest.
Of course, making the effort to find a good community will at least get one anchor in place, and we can only wait and see if the updates for WAR are any good... But yeah, that's my main worry about WAR's core game.
Conversely in AoC, I think the core PvE experience feels great. I love melee fighting (not sure about the spellcaster bars, but yeah) and the work of the motion-capped animations never fails to impress me. I can feel the power of the mount under me as its muscles flex with each step. I'm happy to run around and farm stuff like me street-sweeping in CoX just cos it feels so damn fun. (I'm probably in a minority in this aspect.)
The AoC board community stinks. But the Oceanic community that is on Gwahlur has been pretty durned friendly, there's still at the moment what feels like critical mass (for survival, if not growth), and of course, the guild I'm in is a sturdy support at the moment. If it doesn't implode or lose key members, I'm ready to go where the mass goes.
Updates. Ohhh. Dear. Every time Funcom makes an update, my heart just keeps sinking and sinking further. It's like this game is being run by schizophrenic RoD imms that are being forced for monetary and other such reasons to make updates NOW. Every patch there's a "Oh god, what are they THINKING?!" reaction, and none of them want to talk to you to explain the rationale either. If there even was one in the first place. Or if they do, they're bluffing through their teeth to paint a rosy picture.
I get scared and worried because not only to the personal threat of some system that I'm used to changing around, or being unable to play the way I like, but because every time they do this, more people hit their breaking point and leave for greener pastures. It's really sad.
You know, reflecting on it, it's exactly what's happening at work as well.
I keep facing the question of: if I still like the core game, and they haven't fubared it YET, should I still be sticking around? If the inevitable crash and burn may end up happening? On the offchance that they can actually turn things around?
And how do I make this decision with other people haemorraging away at the same time, throwing some complexity into the various factors?
*sighs*
I think my answer is to wait-and-see.
If critical people leave, I'm gone as well. For now, the moment-to-moment aspect is still satisfying, or livable with. I'm hoping things will turn around. Not sure though.
I just need to give myself check-and-look-back-and-review deadlines. Probably October and December. See how the "state of the game" is.
3 comments:
I would have subscribed to AoC if not for the dev team's bizarro patches.
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering how the bear shamans are healing in a raid, because they only have 1 PBAoE direct heal (need to be near tank), and various PBAoE HoTs. The main PBAoE HoT can be specced to give 5% deflection but it needs a melee hit to trigger it off. The only "heal" I see that they can stand far away and pop off is the cone HoT...and the way you can buff up the healing (put a direct heal component to it) is by doing melee damage.
I don't know about the other priests but it seems that AoC incorporates these components of damage-dealing increasing your healing. In this case the traditional 'healers stand at the back and heal' is actually not healing at full potential.
Of course, if you're not supposed to hit the wolf, then everything gets harder. But for the main mob which is supposed to be getting killed, that shouldn't be a problem.
Well, in the Kylikki raid, it's not very noticeable either way.
For most mobs in there, everyone melee is crowded around jostling for space, so I presume some healing is going on. We've got about 5-6 healers at any one time in a raid (ToS, BS and PoMs) so generally you just see this haze of blue circles by your feet and presume healing and nice buffing is happening.
For the wolf, we have both a BS and a PoM at either ends. So they're catching us with the cone heals (blue circle) and maybe the PoM uses something with a green circle too. The idea is to run away from the wolf so that it doesn't bite too often.
If all goes well, I can stay topped up near my max of 9000-10000 hp. If I stay too long to get aggro, I get bit down to 6000-8000hp, and it's time to run and see if the HoT catches up. I quaff potions at this point too. My last resort is to stun to give everything more recovery time.
So I can't really tell which heal is from whom. They're not exactly labeled. :)
Oh, and there's no selectivity of get a PoM over a BS because of two things:
1) Same class heals stack, apparently. So the aim is to get a variety of each type, presumably so that the max healing is possible.
2) Not enough critical mass for a 24-man raid anyway. We're fielding about 15-20 people at any one time, so there's nearly always room for any 75+ guildie that turns up, whatever the class, and filling the rest of the spaces with Radical Dreamers who want to raid.
The selectivity only turns up at Kylikki, as you need at least 3 tanks (one on main boss, 2 on wolves), and sufficient minion-killers (demos, necros, HoXes) to take down minions that heal main boss.
Presumably you'll need enough different types of healers to keep main tank standing (1 of each), and 2 different ones for the wolf team, and the rest are spare heal/dps.
Oh, we have a DPS/heal parser also. And while I haven't scrutinized the rankings in the "healing done" section very much, I do recall the top healer was a BS.
That could be due to his gear (he's been lucky in his loot rolls, ripping off nearly all of our raid leader's purples - who is also a BS), his feat spec or skill.
He also comes directly last in DPS, so he's a very heal focused spec, I presume.
I'll remember to check it again the next raid and see if I can make any conclusions based on class.
Post a Comment