Friday, March 27, 2009

Red Headed Stepchildren

There's always the "special" ones in any guild.

"Special" in this case referring to the "special needs" kind of special. But in the slanging sense. I don't have problems with people who are truly handicapped in some fashion (like I helped someone deaf with part of a Test which relied on sound, etc.)

But I admit to being horribly discriminatory against people who do not display any kind of common sense or barest glimmer of intelligence, people who seem to feel that they are special centers of attention and everybody in the universe exists in order to be at their beck and call and must stop whatever they are doing in order to "help" them, people needy and dependent who simply do not try to help themselves.

Especially if they are all mixed together in the same person.

There are two in my ATITD guild exceedingly guilty of all of the above. In-game married to each other too. Ha.

I try to stay as far away from them as possible, but tonight, one of them hailed me and asked if I could cook up a stat recipe for them since I had a higher cooking level than them.

Ok. Fair enough. Obviously you're going to provide me the recipe and materials, right, because I don't know what you want, I'm not a skilled cook at all, and I'm doing you the favor, no?

Um, yah, no problem, they said. Cue 15 minutes of waiting around while they looked for a wiki recipe. They find one. Oops, they need the ingredients... They don't have this and that and they keep announcing the fact they don't have it.

No, I'm not going to help you get them. Come on, garlic grows 8 a seed anywhere now that we have bonus pyramid buffs up, why are you wasting 10 minutes crying you don't have them when 2 minutes could have grown you some more?

I've given up and I've gone back to my compound to hang about for it and I take 20 minutes to slice a gem into utter mincemeat (yay, abject failure) and they're STILL not ready.

Fortunately, some other guy logs on, and they ask him what cooking level he's at. (Not given up getting better results either.)

He says 4. Like me.

I grab the opportunity to foist them off onto this poor chap, claiming I've got to go to other regions. Which I do. For my own stuff.

The whole reason they are messing with stats in the first place is because needy couple want to grind a whole bunch of silver into silver powder - which they need for their own personal private trading deal. So um, keeping me waiting for half an hour ain't exactly polite in my book.

Poor unfortunate chap waits longer for them...listening to them hunt unsuccessfully for one component or another. Chap is also smart and bored enough to look in the wiki for the recipe, and then he points out to them that the recipe they were planning to use is -dex, and will pin them in place unable to walk.

Oh noes, they say, we need to be able to walk to the barrel grinder in the other compound.

Cue some silent figurative staring at each other. Guilty half of couple weakly protests that was the quickest thing they saw on the wiki.

(Me, I'm being mean and thinking to myself, morons, glad I ditched them.)

It takes them maybe another 20 minutes to get another recipe and another set of ingredients, all the while the other half of the couple is spamming the main Egypt global channel for help/advice on recipes that give good endurance, and the appropriate amounts of ingredients to add to get huge numbers of servings.

Finally the poor chap I foisted the two off on manages to cook their food for them.

Almost immediately, he's asked, can you help us on the barrel grinder too? (Best wound in a group.)

Sure, y'right, "help" them grind silver... does he get any silver powder back in return? I doubted it.

Anyway, poor chap said something like, maybe in 10 minutes, you guys go ahead first.

Goodness knows if he did end up helping them or if he also cleverly slipped out of reach. :P

1 comment:

Freefall said...

Birds of a feather, flock together.
The rest of us take one look (or two), and run away in a hurry. =P