Thursday, September 02, 2010

Dragon, what dragon?

Played maybe 24 hours of Dragon Age, enough to get through the origins story (Mage), finish Lothering, the Tower and Brecilian Forest. Then tried to off Flemeth as Morrigan suggested and -- whoa, WTF huge dragon. Got stomped, and stopped.

Throughout, I'm trying to put my finger on why the game isn't very exciting for me. It's a bit like Mass Effect. Extremely playable but somehow...boring.

It's the Dragon Age. Ok so it's not a Dragon but an Archdemon. Except that the Archdemon looks like a dragon. And it's a Big Bad Guy (tm) that we got to kill. Why? Cos we gotta! You're Grey Warden and you're going to konk over in 30 years so you gotta do something in the meantime which is kill darkspawn. Uhhh darkspawn are dark spawn, monsters, evil stuff. Oh wait, since when did I sign up to drink darkspawn blood, poison myself and die in 30 years?

Sure, long ago we played games like that. Dungeon Crawl until your are Strong Enough to Kill the Big Bad Guy. Plot, what plot. Just do it. And we loved it. We chopped our zombies and crushed our skeletons and drank our potions and we sucked it up and loved it.

Times have changed. Standards are ...higher. I understand that a lot of work has been put into the game to make the multiple origins and how the world responds to the different origins differently. But despite that, something is lacking. There are other games with similar premises as Dragon Age and were enjoyable.

Maybe I just dislike the game mechanics. Here I am, half-a-healer and half-a-crowdcontroller. I have Wynne stuffed with healing spells. I throw my warrior and rogue in, and it honestly feels like the one-and-a-half healers are just spamming the heals and doing barely anything else. Maybe I should play and AoE nuker instead and fireball the mobs, give up on the debuffing. Maybe my skill/spell selection is just a mess, but I hate tank/heal0r type of mechanics.

Not everything is bad of course. I really enjoy the Fade quests. The surreal world where you shapeshift to go through an obstacle course thing is quite fun. The question is, is the rest of the game more like the Fade, or more like Brecilian Forest / ruins?

Not sure whether I should continue playing. Or just go through the different origins for the origin specific quests and leave it at that. Or even, just give up.

1 comment:

Juli said...

I hear 3 mages 1 warrior is where it's at. Maybe you should throw Morrigan in the mix and respec to nuke and see if the game difficulty changes any.

I haveta agree on the hate for tank/heal0r mechanics though. I was -trying- to roleplay a rogue, with a dog, and I was getting wtfpwned by regular encounters.