So today I felt like doing something dramatically different when I logged in...
And since the first mission I selected was a "Defeat 15 Tsoo" thingy with an ambush of two (TWO, yes, doh. WTF is with the AI?) yellow ink men, I had my brilliant idea.
Kill one, and leave the other one alive. Turn unyielding off and get the optimum distance for endless chain sleeping.
After all, I was kinda curious if the next "held" badge was for a total of 60 minutes, or if it was 30 mins (having earned 30 mins for the first badge.)
My first choice of surroundings was pretty ill-chosen. Near a main road, by an apparently very popular building for missions. As 3 people walked out in 5 minutes or so...
All of which were very intent on saving me from myself.
The scrapper was first, but, he was very civilized, from the way he was stopping and starting and hesitating towards me, I could tell he wasn't one of those braindead morons. Then he asked if I needed help. So I just localed that everything was fine and I was just getting a badge. Thanked him anyway, situation resolved, and he left.
Then the emp def came waltzing out the door, took one look and slapped down heals, fortitude, clear mind and god knows what before I got one word typed. :P
*sigh* :P Well, it was well meaning, so I thanked again, everything really is fine, just getting a badge, move along now.
So I finally thought, ok, maybe a bit awkward right in front of the door. I didn't want to go anywhere near street mobs for fear of a real accident though, so I glided around the building, taunting and coaxing the stupid ink man into the alley beside it.
Just as I finally go back to the browser for a nice time reading forums, I hear the "threatening" whoomp whoomp of a fire tank. Oh crap. :) Zip back to the screen, there's the fire guy with his fireshield blazing. Next thing I know, he's sprung the taunt. :P
Yellow ink man runs to him, gets all majorly p'o'ed, and pulls his knife to go stabbity stabbity.
*sigh* to myself. You know, it's not as if my health bar has even dropped. I have full health and end. I could stand here all day if you'd bothered to highlight me and look. In fact, I actually have unyielding, which is a status resist I coulda turned on in the second between sleeps. Nevermind, you're trying to be kind, right?
"Hiya, everything's fine. Thanks. Just trying to get a badge."
"ahhhh. k"
So begun the intricate dance of trying to pull the bastard off the fire tank. Lemme tell you, at his level (25?) or maybe he slotted it, but that thing was glued to him.
I taunted 3 times with my own taunt and was totally ignored. So I finally decided to give him a punch. I accidentally picked Smite. Reflex maybe. THWAP. Ink man's hp drops to a sliver. Oooops. (Well, now maybe he realizes I was really ok.)
One more taunt and the bugger finally turns off the tank and comes back to me. Tank leaves. Inky is still carrying his knife and wants to go cuttity cuttity with it. I run around for ages keeping distance, but no go. He won't put the damn thing away again. *sigh*
Smite, shadow maul. Dead dead very dead ink man.
I go looking for more Tsoo. Finally find them by the west part of Talos, clear out everything but one ink man. Well, since this time I'm choosing the location not dictated by the ambush, I drag the inky to a stand of trees in a nice peaceful grove. Only flaw is it's a little near a road, but I try to go near the part where there's a chasm separating me and the road.
All is well for a while. I'm having a blast on the forums. There's this funky thread about a well-known sf/f author offering to write bios. I'm wondering if I believe that VickyVee aka Mercedes Lackey? really started CoH two weeks ago and is announcing the fact not-so-subtly. Minus point is that it's so easy to be a fraud, and the poster is already talking about a name fraud confusion story in his/her/its post already. Plus point (so-called) is that this lady really has an EGO to boot that really fits a bunch of female authors of the McCaffery, Lackey bunch.
Then I hear the alarm buzz of a superspeeder nearby.
Oh jeez. I flip back, ready to type my nice explanation again, to find a blind invite in my face. By a 'blaster muck'. Said blaster is standing next to the ink man. I decline. He flips out his rifle and bangs the inky without so much a thank you, maam.
I sigh in local. I can't help it. The guy speeds off.
Back to molest another group of Tsoo and lure off another ink man into the stand of trees.
This time seems to be good though. Listening to JR, finished the CoH boards for now, and actually managed to get this blog post typed without interruption.
I'm prolly gonna get tired of this soon, but hey, at least I'm getting closer to that badge. And it was a change. It's really quite amusing, really. So many helpful heroes, even when you don't need it. :) Gives you a bit more faith in the world when PuGs get you down.
(Or maybe it's just a symptom of this topsy turvy screwed up upside down world. :P)
3 comments:
Oh, I just noticed something cool. The shadows actually move with the CoH "sun". This tree shadow is creeping slowly across as time ticks by. How nifty.
The same thing happened to me at IP last time. Except that I was smart and decided to stop.
Which is why I told you I kind of enjoy the 20+ game. When you are in Atlas Park, getting killstolen seems almost the norm. When I was in Talos or IP, I noticed that if I start fighting in the streets, people tend to stop by, watch me for a while to see if I am all right, then move on. Or toss a buff or too on me.
Same goes for Brickstown. Conversely, when I see someone fighting, I stand around and watch them for a bit to see if they are all right. Usually all of us are. Move on, move on, nothing to see.
It's nice though. You get more of a sense of a community, not just random wackos running around chopping stuff up. Most people you won't ever see again, but it's nice, knowing that they have some concern for a random stranger.
OK. Sometimes it gets boring. Most people are pretty much know what they are doing at this point. (Some don't, some are idiots, you'll see them everywhere till the end.)
Then I make a lowbie and jump into those massive PuGs in the Hollows and what not.
Er, I can't spell.
"a buff or two"
Post a Comment