Wednesday, March 23, 2005

OMG, make it stop already!

It is raining hard today. And the vacuum tech company hasn't got back to me. So I decided to stay home and do the programming stuff instead. And guess what, I couldn't stop myself from looking at the CoH forums, as usual.

I am so blardy happy. :) NEW TOYS! Too many toys, too few powerslots, too few enhancement slots. Sigh But I could not play with them because the test server was so overloaded.

Seriously though, I don't think the dark powerset needs anymore freebies. There are so many other things to fix. Although Howling Twilight and Tar Patch are such seldom taken powers that it's nice that they got buffed up. Give it to storm.

People will be tripping over themselves to get a force-fielder in their teams now in late game :). Anti-sappage!

Watch for the gazillion FoTM dark defenders to appear now, everywhere. That is how it is. Sadly, watch many of them get plevelled right past my slow, plodding self.

And bad reputation all around of dark defenders. Most of these are the bad blasters who don't want to die anymore or scrappers who think this will be the new elite tank-mage build. Of course you will have "defenders" who think they are just solo blasters in a team.

I really empathise with the older fire tanks.

And still, despite the new wind blowing from another direction, I have people wanting me to be an empathy defender. I am just on perma-hide now. I don't want to get an ulcer.

I can be happily doing my own missions. And every hour or so I'll get some "are u empthy" or "wat r u?". What makes you think I will drop my mission and join you even if I am empathy? Jesus. Since I am a pretty polite person I will respond, and never hear another tell from them. Being snubbed by idiots is just ridiculous.

If I accept some invite, I will have people ordering me what to do what isn't even in my powerset or flying into sulks or what not because I'm not giving them RA and CM or what not.

Heh, just see the sad, drooping, disappointed faces when people invite me, I join up, and they see that I am not empathy (or kinetics, or bubbler). Then they get rude or something. And I CANNOT make everyone NOT die ALL the time in an eight person team on invincible as the ONLY DEFENDER. If anyone dies people blame me?!

I'm just afraid of even being invited into a team anymore.

ARRRRGHHHHH STOP STOP TAKE IT ALL AWAY, MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP!

CANNOT GIVE RA, DON'T EVEN ASK!

NOOOOOOOOO STOP IT I CAN'T STAND IT ANYMORE!

Perma-hide.

*Wheeze* *Wheeze*. I'm not exaggerating, you know. Level a defender up to the late thirties and see for yourself. Controllers are ok (share secondaries). Blasters are ok by now (idiots are weeded out by the early 30s whee). Any controller that ground its way up to pet-stage is pretty sophisticated. Any blaster that survived to this stage is pretty sophisticated. Except maybe plevelled jobs, but those are bad all around. Seems like all the idiots then go to scrappers and tanks.

I feel bad for the real, good scrappers and tanks out there who are getting black-sheeped by these horrible ones.

Funny thing is, I recently met that blaster who told me I was worthless because I was not empathy/kinetics/force-field and tried to get me kicked off a TF. Except that she's deleted herself and now she is a tank. *Giggle* Probably a bad one. A Tapper. :P

When I see a storm defender or a earth controller, I want to smooch them all over and throw them obscene amounts of influence. Amusingly enough, the only time when people appeared pleased to have chanced about a dark defender (in the past) was when I got into a pickup group ran by a highbie earth controller. He was pleased and went "Whee, dark defender, don't see many of those around". I was even more pleased and replied that I've never seen an earth controller before (Level 3s don't count:P). Earth pets are so cute too. Three poo-tanks running around are cute.

Except that dark defenders are going to be FoTM now, if they aren't already FoTM. Heheheh. :)

1 comment:

Juli said...

I follow this simple rule. People who declare any AT/powerset to be worthless, are themselves worthless to play with.

Any fool would know. It's not the AT. It's not the powerset. It's the player that makes the greatest difference.

If they find a choice of powerset to be crippling, then evidently they aren't flexible enough in their thinking to play with and around it.

It's always about the player. How smart they are. How well and familiar they are with their powers - this also ties in with actually playing and not pleveling. How creative and innovative they can be with their powers.

I recently read in the forums about that fire tank who met with a storm def at level 50 and was so impressed that the def was running around the tank's burn patch in circles (I assume with hurricane on) to knock stuff back because the tank's taunt couldn't reach that far both sides.

Now that's jaw-droppingly smart and yet being a team player. That's knowing your powers so well that you can use them and geography in all sorts of neat ways.

And that's why I'm still scared to play dark or storm def and so on because such sets allow so much flexibility that they allow good players to shine from the choices they make, the tools they pick - while the not-so-good ones waffle on by with average uses and the morons make their entire powerset black sheep through their hopeless displays of ineptitude.

Seriously, I took one look at the dark/dark def powers, and I was like, oh crap. I could have slows, disorients, holds, fears, debuffs and so on. How the heck am I going to pick the right tool for the right job? Then I cringe and tell myself I better get more experience first.

I'm still a pretty pathetic fire controller. My idea of control is to lay down my flashfire disorient nuke somewhere in the middle, and cage and look around for something buff to single hold. I don't have finesse. I'm prolly not the type for it, and having little experience doesn't help either.

Even in RoD, the home of the completely unbalanced classes, it's really about the player. Communities and cooperatives are built around player personalities. A thief in the wrong hands or someone who doesn't like being a thief (ie, Aylssa) is not as effective as someone who goes for the thief aspect (ie. me, Rathain, Axius). Ditto about vampires. Tiggs could do vampire and thief equally well, Ayls was a vampire fanatic, and I was the thief fanatic. Put me on a vampire and I got hopelessly disoriented and tended to DT myself or die in the arena. Meanwhile I could murder people higher dr than myself and tank insane things with the thiefy.

My ultimate proof is Mr Clueless Asc'er trying to play Madmartigan. The 2000+ huge hp insane dr warrior. Heck, I'd expected him to last at least 5 minutes and take out a few just by sheer spam 'murder'. He dropped in 15 seconds. I was like WTF, are you the real Madmarty? Apparently NOT. Crap, I was relying on your being smart. Did you even manage to quaff a heal or flee once? :(

Sometimes I wonder if things woulda been different if I was the one controlling Madmarty. I had basic pk skills after all, but little experience on an arena warrior while I was all about the arena thief and lasted to third person left. :/ But the guy was loaded with a shitload of heals and dr, how hard could it have been. *sighs*

Back to CoH, look at the Ass Clowns for proof as well. Everyone uses powers others proudly proclaim gimp, but knows how and when to use 'em. I've been on Perez and Hollows street hunts with more damage, more firepower...with less brains and less teamwork. You can expect what happens. More random aggro, more faceplants.

The ass clowns are made of really smart players who have the strongest incentive to team ever. We are swiftly and obviously introduced to repeat dust-tasting and team-wiping should we stop working together, thanks to our gimped builds. And smart people adapt to such situations instead of heaping blame on others.

It's not about WHAT DID THIS MORON -NOT- DO TO/FOR ME? STUPID IDJIT, YOU KILLED THE TEAM!!11one1!!

It's about "Heck, what did I do that contributed to the faceplant, and how can I change what I do so that it doesn't happen again?"

But then, the fellows who think like that wouldn't be bothering defs asking 'r u healr?', would they?