Long time no write. Flu and a lousy pillow does that to you. On the road to recovery from the former, and I bought a new headrest.
While I was lurking about Steam's store, waiting to see what the weekend deal is, I cannot help but notice that the Space Quest and King's Quest collections have just been released.
Oh boy. Talk about nostalgia trip numero duo.
(Incidentally, I had a super trippy time playing through the Special Edition of Monkey Island. It was remastered awe-inspiringly. To the point that I played the entire thing in the remastered version over the classic version, because the classic just looked aged, while this one looked timeless.)
These ain't remastered though. These are the real pixelated deals. On the one hand, it brings back memories, on the other hand, I fully expect some Dosbox/Steam/WinXP shenanigans.
If they ever release Police Quest, Quest for Glory or Leisure Suit Larry collections, I'm afraid I'm definitely getting those again. I have been musing about digging out the old QFG collection, just haven't a clue where the discs have gone. :/
King's Quest is tempting. I've never managed to play through those, honestly. The random death by accidentally touching a blue pixel tended to land a younger me into a hissy fit, followed by a vow to play Lucasfilm games over Sierra. It'll be interesting to see if I'm a little more hardcore in my old age (helped along by step-by-step walkthroughs when I give up, of course.)
Space Quest now... ehhh... I dunno. There's nostalgia going for it, but I've never found the genre exceedingly appealing. The old pure 4 color Buck Rogers sort of 'clean' comic sci-fi has never been my cup of tea. Land on funky colored planets, usually covered with 'exotic' swamp or jungle, fight off aliens with gibberish names, shoot laser beams and bubble rings from guns that came out of a Jetsons cartoon, and walk about with fishbowl helmets in white space suits.
Newp. I'm trying very hard, looking at it from one angle and the next, and I still can't see the appeal.
Oddly enough, I'm okay with this sort of cartoony universe in space trading games, but that's where I draw the line and start looking for more modern depth and rl drama in my sci-fi (yay B5, Firefly) or more grim n' gritty cartoony (yay, WH40k).
I guess I won't get the Space Quest collection after all. I might try The Dig from LucasArts. I have never heard of this game at all. I wonder if there's a reason it never became popular.
I mean, even LOOM drew some attention in its day. It had a unique adventure game gimmick in its distaff. I just can't remember the story at all. People turning into swans and flying off, I think. Yeah. "..."
But The Dig? No one's ever talked about it. Hrm. Strange game no one's ever heard of.
No comments:
Post a Comment