I'm disgusted by the dominator section of the forums. I'm still drawn to it like a bad train wreck though. :) Must stop.
I'm boggled by the number of people having trouble with the AT, and then turning around and blaming the design. They just haven't considered that maybe it's them, that their playstyles just aren't suited for it...
Kinda like kheldians actually - all the whining about how they weren't epic enough and so on. Evidently, they just haven't built in a style that supports their playstyle and is also supported by the powerset...
No, this isn't Guild Wars or some other game when you can switch your skills in a jiffy and be lots of differently effective variants on a class. There is one or two main ways to powergame and build an xp-effective character (pve) or a pvp build as opposed to say, a concept one.
The other option is to be one of the flexible players that are able to adapt to any build, any AT, and make it work. I like to consider myself as one of them. Put me in a blaster's chair, and I will use all of the bastard blaster techniques to get the drop on mobs and haul ass the moment my hp drops to oh, half or so. :P Screaming my lil booties off as I race through an elevator or out the door, grabbing a rest, then coming back for blastery vengeance. Vs me as a tank, where I would prolly stick it out to the near last sliver of red hp before making a run for it, and faceplant if there was a team who was worth defending. Or me as a scrapper who would more than likely just spit in the mob's face as continue stabbing my way to the first-class ward in the hospital.
I can single-pull, I can multi-pull. I can use LOS to clump mobs, and LOS to get away from mobs shooting me to pieces. I'm still working on fooling mob AI so that they stay in melee more often than not, but hey, I'm not a CoH God the way I was in RoD, and that's all for the good. But I am flexible and an altholic.
And it amazes me the number of people who stick to one AT and then try and force another AT to play like it. Scrappers who go to kheldians and promptly die and whine. Tankers who try to make kheldians or brutes tank. Defenders making "HEALZ0R" corruptors. Controllers making dominators a mirror image of their CoH toon. *sigh*
It's this desire for more of the same that I don't understand.
Take the following phrase, spouted countless times by people I've talked to:
(I am bored with RoD. But I won't try other MUDs. I only play SMAUG MUDs.)
Er, hello? You are bored with RoD, right? I am, too. Doesn't that suggest that you are possibly bored with the underlying system that runs the MUD? Why not just TRY another style of MUD and learn something new? Won't that be interesting? Won't that become NOT boring anymore?
Nope. Don't wanna. It's strange. It's unknown. I won't be able to learn it. Can't teach old dog new tricks. I just want the same old mobs dressed up with a new name and a santa claus gift bag of equipment that I can take to upgrade my character to higher and higher numerical values of DR. (If the mob has no equipment worth using, ie. better eq, then the mob sucks and is not worth fighting.)
*sighs*
I suppose this is the rat race mentality of RL brought over to WoW and other such RoD and EQ-based clones.
Scary. Me, I just want enough time to enjoy playing CoH/CoV. Haven't got enough time lately. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment