Statesman showed up to the tanker forums to post an anecdote about how HIS tank is still working as intended. I think it would have been wiser for him to have shut his trap and not post anything, because he is an EMBARASSMENT to all tank players out there.
Let's see, first we have to ignore the blindingly apalling fact that invincibility is bugged at 3x the defence as supposed to be. This is very obvious as I still have inexplicable survivability by running straight into the center of spawns, even post-ED, with tough hide added to stack on invinc. Statesman tested out his tank on LIVE servers, so this means the invincibility bug is still in effect and giving out a certain amount of "buffness" that he's feeling.
(Let us presume, and give him the benefit of the milk glass being half-full, that when States says he is happy with it as is, he means it. And that he may intend a slight tweak if necessary, when AFTER the bug is fixed and invinc goes back to intended levels, invul tanks start faceplanting every full-size spawn and the major griping begins anew.)
Now let us go on to his anecdote of how he tanks:
I think I now have a clue where all those lame ass tanker boys in my pick up groups come from. They must have been Statesman in disguise. His description brought to mind this one appalling stoner who would taunt a group, have about 3 guys around him in his mudpots, and left the rest of the NOW-AGGRO'ed and FULLY PISSED OFF Family mobs to the rest of the group to get killed by.
He has defender support - 2 of 'em actually, kin and emp. That's some serious heal and buffing that they are capable of.
And what does he DO? He taunts the strongmen to himself. (He prolly doesn't even know how to utilize line of sight - though it's not stated anywhere.) *blinks incredulously*
You are an INVUL/FIRE tank! You SHAME all invul/fires out there! Come on, you may not have fire sword circle until after...hrm, level 35, I think? But you have COMBUSTION, don't you? I think it opens at level 10. And I'm SURE you have DULL PAIN.
Why didn't you at least TRY once to absorb alpha properly. Or taunt and run around a crate to have them clump up - cos psi is no laughing matter for invuls. (But with your def support focused on you, should be able to keep standing, imo.)
If you said you tried, one or two spawns doing it the NORMAL way tanks do it - and then said that you faceplanted and that it DIDN'T work, and then you switched to a new way of handling the combined spawn that still kept you in control of the spawn, it would have been SOOOO much more palatable to tanks out there.
See, real tanks are all about the spawn CONTROL. They want to get as much aggro as they are capable of handling, and it surely does NOT mean 1/3 of a spawn. More like 2/3s, at the very least.
Certainly, this does not mean the Full Fledged Unleashed Aggro of the entire mob spawn on the tanker, while he still remains standing without help...the spawn can be debuffed around the tank, the tank kept buffed up and important bosses and lts. held so that they cannot damage the tank excessively.
The role of the tank is really the more-intelligent mastermind pet. While masterminds have to direct their pets in fine detail as to where to go, stand, for intricate tactics, the tank functions as a self-operational, self-intelligent, self-moving crowd controller who can absorb and HOLD more aggro than a pet can, much faster, and move the whole group along at a faster pace. The tank is the ideal point man, shock troop, offensive lineman.
At least he SHOULD. Otherwise, why get a tank?
Heck, on my level 6 mastermind, I find it damn handy and easy to control aggro for myself already with TWO henchies, I just needed to give each an "attack my target" macro. Hell, I was doing it with my one crappy ninja henchie, I just had to let him hit multiple targets until his pet aggro (weaker than gauntlet) kicked in, and left him alone from there, while watching that my own damage didn't overshadow his. If it did, then I directed him to come and get the guy who's strayed over to me, and so on...
Dunno. Apparently, Statesman has no understanding of aggro at all, and no clue of what a tank can really be. He should have demorecorded his little anecdote so we could pick it apart. :P
No comments:
Post a Comment