Surfing a whole bunch of gaming boards idly, and I ran across a post with a fascinating link. The Great Scam seems like one of those classic stories. How many morals can you find? Is it true? Or just urban legend?
Who knows...
But it's a good read. The guy can definitely write.
I'd go as far to say that it's literature. Not your 'classic' hard back gobbledy-gook, but very discussable. Caters to a very precise genre, no doubt, but I could dissect this and spin it off into a lot of themes for academics to chew on.
Consider virtual identity vs real identity.
The 'hazards' of the Internet mixing with reality, and the illusion of safety.
How about real greed spawned by essentially virtual objects?
Social communities in an MMORPG. Game design. Economics in a virtual world. It's all here.
Sweet stuff. I wonder if there's anything from my game experiences that constitutes as good a story. Alas, I'm not really the scammer type nor do I like mixing real with virtual, so a whole bunch of the tension already flies out the window. Oh well. :)
1 comment:
Interesting story. Human greed is always the same. Expressing it in a virtual way or expressing it in real life, it has the same origin. I would say "real greed caused by virtual objects".
I don't really have anything close to that since I don't really indulge in the economy. The closest would be Skaphia scamming me in a trade and trying to pretend she didn't / distracting the issue with personal attacks when she got caught.
Post a Comment