Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Sidetrek: Hero's Journey

Wow. If this game ever lives up to the initial hype from E3, I am gonna weep. With joy.

Take a look at the E3 Impression links on their site.

Call me overly hopeful, but maybe we'll manage to find a game where one can truly immerse into an ever-changing environment, as created by many many GMs.

The pessimistic side of me says that all these 'social' factors will create a place where politics and the ugly side of human nature (greed, sheer stupidity, jealousy, pettiness, etc.) will rule and rear their misogynistic head...Bound to be more than one GM that will cheat or do something really stupid like create an unbeatable horde or something...but but...

I can hope. I can dream. Wouldn't it be cool to have the MUD-like atmosphere done right in 3D?

Simultronics sounds familiar - that would be because they did MUDs like Gemstone and Dragonrealms. Well, the screenshots appear to say they've managed to dredge up some passable to pretty good 3D artists.

I would kill to be able to -really- CIRCLE a mob like I imagined it. (ie. that oft-spoken about cooperative move where some warrior engages a mob, and then a second guy bends down and lets the third fella leap off his back to go stabbity stabbity at the mob. *swoons*)

Really, the only thing that put me off trying out one of these subscription muds is a) the price tag and b) the insularity of a teensy population willing to pay for a mud game.

But if they're doing an MMORPG, then whoops, it looks like monthly subscription is part of the established and accepted payment model, and I can't exactly fight the whole damn world if they are cool with it. :/

I'd pay for constant events and quests generated by imms and so on. As long as the pricing didn't get insane like -certain- muds I could mention, $$ for this equipment, $$$ for that sword, $$$$ for that nifty looking soul thingamob. WTF, yea?

No comments: